You will see below a simplified outline of the features, strengths and weaknesses of the 1925 Guggisberg constitution of the Gold Coast (Ghana).
Let’s begin with the features of the Guggisberg constitution. Your likely WASSCE Government paper question about this constitution will appear like this:
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links from which I will earn a commission. READ FULL DISCLOSURE.
OUTLINE THE MAIN FEATURES OF THE 1925 GUGGISBERG CONSTITUTION IN GHANA.
Features of Guggisberg Constitution
Governor Gordon Guggisberg’s 1925 constitution came as a result of calls by proto-nationalist movements to improve on the 1916 Clifford constitution.
Here are the major features of the Guggisberg constitution in Ghana.
LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL – MEMBERSHIP
Its membership increased to 30
→ Official members = 15
→ Unofficial members = 14
Below is the breakdown of the 14 unofficial members.
Paramount Chiefs = 6
Elected Africans to represent Accra, Cape Coast and Secondi – Takoradi = 3
Europeans representing the mining and commerce sectors = 5
→ Governor as President
LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL – FUNCTIONS
The Legislative Council performed the following functions under the Guggisberg constitution.
It passed bills into ordinances or laws
Secondly, it approved the budget that came from the Executive Council.
In addition to the above, it discussed the grievances of the people.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Membership: 5 Official members with the Governor as president.
The Executive Council under the Guggisberg constitution functioned as an advisory body. It advised the governor on all administrative matters.
Also, it assisted the governor in the formulation and implementation of government policies.
It’s time to move to the second part of this WASSCE/Senior High School Government tutorial,
You will now have an outline of the strengths and weaknesses or shortcomings of the Guggisberg constitution.
Below is one more likely question on this topic for you.
OUTLINE THREE STRENGTHS AND THREE WEAKNESSES OF THE 1925 GUGGISBERG CONSTITUTION.
Strengths of the Constitution
1. It increased the membership of the Legislative Council.
2. Secondly, there was increased involvement of traditional rulers in the colonial administration through the creation of the Provincial Councils of Chiefs.
3. The Guggisberg constitution of 1925 introduced the franchise or the elective principle into the Gold Coast (Ghana).
4. Finally, the constitution promoted decentralization in the colonial government. It created Municipal and Town councils to manage local affairs.
Weaknesses of the Constitution
Find below the main weaknesses of governor Gordon Guggisberg’s 1936 constitution of the Gold Coast (Ghana).
These shortcomings of the constitution made the educated elite level a number of criticisms against it.
WASSCE General Arts by Online Learning
For just GHS10.00/Month or GHS95.00/Year, you can get expert online coaching from CegastAcademy.com to enable you to effectively study SHS General Arts & English. You will obtain the WASSCE grades you’ve always wanted. It does not matter who you are or where you live. Find out more.
1. Firstly, the official majority in the Legislative Council remained as it was under the Clifford constitution before it.
2, Again, Africans were excluded from the Executive Council.
3. Another shortcoming was that Ashanti, the Northern Territories and British Mandated Togoland were largely excluded from the provisions of the constitution.
4. Above all, the Governor still had veto power over bills in the Legislative Council.
BEFORE YOU FORGET: Share this post on your favourite social media platform by clicking on one or more icons below. Many thanks.
Photo by Till Achinger from FreeImages