We want to outline the main functions or duties and powers of the President of the ECOWAS Commission (formerly, Executive Secretary of ECOWAS).
President of the ECOWAS Commission
The President (formerly, Executive Secretary) of the ECOWAS Commission is the head of the ECOWAS secretariat located at the headquarters of ECOWAS.
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links from which I will earn a commission. READ FULL DISCLOSURE.
The executive secretariat is the executive organ of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
The President or executive secretary of the ECOWAS Commission is appointed for a four- year renewable term of office.
According to Article 8 of the Lagos Treaty, the executive secretary is the chief executive officer of the ECOWAS.
The individual occupying this position is to be assisted by two deputies.
Note that the current president of the ECOWAS Commission (2020) is Jean-Claude Kassi Brou of Cote d’Ivoire.
Recommended for You:
1. As the executive secretary, he or she is in charge of the day-to-day administration of the ECOWAS secretariat.
2. Also, the president keeps the functioning of the ECOWAS under continuous examination. Where appropriate, he reports the results of such examination to the Council of Ministers
3. He presents annual reports of activities of all organs and commissions to the Authority of Heads of State and Government.
4. The individual in this position co-ordinates and harmonizes the activities of the ECOWAS. In line with this, the president of the ECOWAS Commission formulates proposals that may promote the efficient functioning of the communityBEST BOOKS ABOUT BUSINESS AND MONEY
5. He prepares the agenda of the meeting of the Council of Ministers.
6. He prepares the annual budget of the ECOWAS.
7. The President is subject to removal from office by the Authority of Heads of State and Government upon the recommendation of the Council of Ministers.
BEFORE YOU FORGET: Share this post on your favourite social media platform by clicking on one or more icons below. Many thanks.