The second account of creation is also known as the Yahwist account (Gen. 2: 4 – 25)
The following are the key points in the second account of creation as found in the Bible.
1. Man was created first before woman.
2. Man was formed from dust and God breathed into his nostril the breath of life.
3. God planted the Garden of Eden and placed man in it.
4. God made trees (including the tree of knowledge of good and evil ).
5. A river with 4 heads flowed from Eden: i) Pishon ii) Gihon iii) Tigris iv) the Euphrates
6. God placed man in the Garden of Eden and allowed him to eat all fruits except that of the knowledge of good and evil. He shall surely die if he eats the forbidden fruit.
7. God charged man to till and cultivate the garden
8. God created animals and birds and asked man to give them names which he did.
9. After some time God pitied man for his loneliness, so he caused Adam to fall into a deep sleep, took a bone from his rib and created therefrom, a helpmate called Eve.
You might also like:
- Features of the parliamentary system of government
- The reasons why Indirect Rule succeeded in Northern Nigeria
Lessons/Significance of the Second Account of Creation
1.Marriage is a divinely created institution right from creation.
2. Monogamy, not polygamy should be practised.
“Therefore a man leaves his father and mother and cleaves to his wife and they shall become one flesh”.
3. Although man has been given stewardship over creation he is expected to be responsible to God who is sovereign and follow his instruction.
4. Man is an earthling – from the dust (Adam or Adama) he occupies a lower position below God and should not try to compete with God.
5. Eden means “Garden of delight”. This shows that God originally created the earth to be enjoyed by man and suffering only came as a result of man’s disobedience.
6. Man is supposed to preserve and keep his environment clean.