DISCLOSURE: This post contains affiliate links.
Click here to read the full statement of our affiliate disclaimer.
Let me show you the topics in the WASSCE History Paper 1: I’m actually referring to the objective Test Topics
For All Candidates from The Gambia, Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone
Read also: How to bounce back after failure
West Africa and the Wider World from the Earliest Times to the Year 2000
1. Historiography and Historical Skills
- The meaning of History
- The reasons for the study of History
- Sources of History
- Ancient and modern approaches to the study of history/Historical skills
- Prospect of ICT in historical studies.
2. Trans-Saharan Trade
- Origin of the Trans-Saharan Trade
- How the Trans-Saharan Trade was organized
- Effects of the Trans-Saharan Trade on the development of West African States.
3. Islam in West Africa
- Introduction of Islam to West Africa
- Spread of Islam in West Africa
- Effects of Islam in West Africa.
4. European Contact with West Africa
- Reasons for the coming of the Europeans to West Africa
- Immediate effects of European presence on West Africa
- The reaction of West Africans to the coming of Europeans.
5. Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade
- Origin of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade
- Organization of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade
- Effects of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade
- Suppression of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade.
6. Christian Missionary Activities in West Africa
- Activities of Christian missionaries
- Impact/Effects of Christian missionary activities
7. The Scramble for and Partition of West Africa
- The Industrial Revolution
- Scramble for colonies in West Africa
- Colonial subjugation and occupation
- Reaction of West Africans to colonial rule.
8. Colonial Rule in West Africa
- Patterns of colonial rule
- Consolidation of European culture in West Africa
- Colonial economy and the underdevelopment of Africa
- Colonial Africa and the two World Wars.
9. Problems of Independent West African States
- Nature of politics
- Neo-colonialism and economic underdevelopment
- Unequal development within states and instability
- The military in West African politics
- Boundary disputes and the threat to West African unity.
10. West Africa and International Organizations
- United Nations Organization/ United Nations (UNO/UN)
- Organization of African Unity/ African Union (OAU/AU)
- Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
- Aims and objectives