DISCLOSURE: This post contains affiliate links.
Click here to read the full statement of our affiliate disclaimer.
Here is a summary of the major physical developments that took place during Kwame Nkrumah and the Convention People’s Party rule in Ghana.
This was the period just after Ghana gained independence from the British.
Kwame Nkrumah and his Convention People’s Party ruled Ghana from 1952 when Nkrumah became Leader of Government Business to February 24 1966 when Ghana’s first republican government was ousted in a military coup d’etat.
Are you a WASSCE History candidate? Maybe you are just a curious adult learner interested in knowing more about the history of Ghana. Whichever way, I trust that you will find this information extremely useful.
1. Construction of railway lines
- The Accra – Takoradi railway line was started with the construction of the Kotoku to Achiase line
- The Accra – Tema railway line was also constructed.
2. Road construction
- New roads were started and many old ones were tarred.
- The Accra – Tema motorway was built.
- Dual-carriageway roads were constructed in Accra.
3. Bridges were built to ease the transportation of foodstuffs to urban centres.
- Adomi Bridge over the Volta River
- Sogakope Bridge over the Volta River
4. Provision of educational infrastructure
- The primary, secondary and tertiary levels all benefited from the Nkrumah administration’s drive to modernize the educational sector.
- Lots of primary and secondary schools were built under the Ghana Education Trust Fund and the Accelerated Education Development Plan
- The University of Cape Coast and the now Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology were built during the CPP era.
- Lots of Teacher Training Colleges were also established.
5. Provision of hydro-electric power
- This was meant to facilitate industrialization and general socio-economic development
- Akosombo Dam was built under the Volta Hydro-Electric Project.